Friday, May 01, 2009

Living with Transience


Unlike Change , Transience is not a choice - its a fact of life ( and of course death).
We are here for as long as we are here, and 'seize the day' is not a cliche to be bandied as a justification for wild and irresponsible living. It is the only way to enjoy life to the fullest.
As we get older, parting from friends becomes a more frequent reality, and part of the pain of loss - aside from the loss itself, involves all the things we missed out on, never said or thought we had time to do.
Another part of the pain is the drum roll of our own end - the sound which is heard a little more loudly when we say a final goodbye to someone dear.

Transience is there all the time. It sits on my shoulder and whispers about time wasted and things still to be achieved.
Its there when I create a fragile piece of art. It surrounds me when I visit my 90 year old mother. Its there when I look in the mirror.

Its there when a friend dies.

But living with Transience you still have to recognize and remember that there is a past, present and a future and that today is yesterday's tomorrow.

No comments: